Type in your e-mail address below if you don't want to miss a single crazy beat.
Monday, September 30, 2013
An Ode to the French Fry
This afternoon, when several other IB students and I were all huddled together on the Sea Isle Elementary School stage, directing the 4th and 5th grade CLUE students' performances of their own original spins on various Greek myths (whoo! What and intro, eh?), it hit me: I'm getting old!
I mean, here I was , surrounded a bunch of ten-year-olds still squeamish over holding each other's hands for fear of cooties, and all I could think was Holy crab-cakes, I'm getting some serious mileage! In reality, these kids were born when I was like what? Five, six,years old? Now they're all looking up to me in wide-eyed wonder, fascinated that my best-friend can drive, and I have a true-blue cell phone! Which brings me to french fries.
When I was ten, I had an obsession with fast food, or, more specifically, McDonald's french fries--that and Joe Jonas. As a child, my whole world revolved around who was dating 'my man' and whether or not my mom would make that pit-stop at the Mickey D's around the corner everyday after school so I could get my french-fry fix. These kids, however, have their eyes set on Harvard, and Broadway, and making a real difference in the world--not that I wasn't, considering I had my whole life planned out at age six--but all I as a young woman, ready to leave the comfort of home and brave the unknown of college life, can think of is how simple life back then was and wish for a day to go back in time when all that really counted in life were french fries...and the Jo Bros...
*Yes I do realize this was not an ode, but I felt like calling it an ode so an ode it will be :P *
Sherrod's note: pseudo-ode
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel you! Except for me it was chicken nuggets and Jesse McCartney.
ReplyDelete- Kait
Haha
Delete