Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Great Gasby

Recently, on one of my many book hunting expeditions, I picked up a used copy of The Great Gatsby. I am slightly ticked off that the copy in best condition still had loads of extremely bad writing in it, however it's not worn or anything like that, so I'll ignore that. What I wanted to talk about, though, was Gatsby himself.

Now, if you've seen the movie (original or modern, it doesn't matter) or read the book, you understand that Gatsby is a very extravagant man. He's wealthy, throws parties almost every night (we'll talk about why later), and is supposedly Oxford educated (a lot of their characters have their own opinions on the validity of that).

Here's my problem with Gatsby. He's very odd. Let's back up to the parties. He threw these parties in hopes of seeing an old flame, Daisy, yet he never actually invites her to these parties. He bought a mansion so he could live across the bay from this same woman. Who is married. He hasn't spoken to this woman at all and is getting all of her friends to set up a meeting between the two of them. I just found the whole "I read the Chicago paper in hopes to see her name" creepy. It's almost an obsession for him.

I'll admit that I am only halfway through the book, so maybe my disliking of him might change by the end. Maybe not. We'll just wait and see.

Michelle

1 comment: