- I understand that the song is catchy, I do. But, the music isn't even originally his. The melody was taken from some older song that I can't remember the name of but my mom loves. And, yes, I understand that he is not the first person to use other people's mixes for his songs. That's been done millions of times. It's just annoying that almost everyone is acting like he's some producing genius when it's not even his music.
- Then there's the lyrics. The words are just down right rude and degrading to women and, if he used these actual lines on actual women, there's like a 99.9% chance he'd get slapped or have a drink tossed in his face. Also, some of these lines are words that rapists have said to their victims. If one more person tells me it's "just a song" they will probably get smacked.
- Now, let's talk about the video. The video for the song is full of women parading around naked. All of them look absolutely miserable, for one thing. Then, they're being followed around and touched by these men who are all fully clothed. It's not even the fact that they're wearing clothes. It's the fact that they're wearing suits, a form of clothing usually associated with power. When people say they are "naked" metaphorically, it means they are vulnerable. So we have all of these "vulnerable" women being followed around by "powerful" or "dominant" men.
- The "Blurred Lines", in this case, are the lines between saying "No" and saying "Yes". By constantly saying "I know you want it", Robin is basically saying "You don't mean no. You mean yes." But I'm saying that there are no 'blurred' lines. No means no.
But, hey, maybe I am overreacting and maybe it is "just as song". I'll be able to sleep so much better at night knowing "it's just a song."
No comments:
Post a Comment