For those of you who are unfamiliar with this particular piece of music, John Cage's 4'33" is a three movement composition consisting of... wait for it...
silence.
I just watched the orchestral version.
I do heretofore deem John Cage "the Original Hipster". Who else but the original hipster could have sat down and said to himself "you know what would be a really GREAT way to utilize the time and talents of an orchestra full of trained musicians and a professional conductor? Four minutes and thirty three seconds of silence!"? And the funny thing is, apparently people pay to *not* hear this. Talk about irony.
Sure, I understand that he was trying to get a message across that you should be as attentive to the sounds around you as the sounds of an orchestra, that silence can be music too, that there's value in the negative space, beauty in the everyday, and that you should stop and appreciate what's around you. I get that he wanted to make a statement, and that this was more effective than just saying it. I appreciate that. But, man, do you think you could have done it in, maybe, like, two minutes instead? I'm busy.
No comments:
Post a Comment